Monday, May 19, 2014

NDSU Assistant Wrestling Coach Bret Maughan Steps Down



FARGO, N.D. – North Dakota State assistant wrestling coach Bret Maughan has announced that he will not be returning as a member of the NDSU coaching staff for the 2014-15 season.

Maughan recently completed his 13th season as an assistant coach for the Bison, capped by back-to-back seasons with NDSU wrestlers earning NCAA All-American honors.

As a team, Maughan helped guide NDSU into the top 30 at the NCAA Championships in each of the last two seasons, including an all-time high finish of 21st in 2014. The Bison won a Western Wrestling Conference regular season title in 2012-13 and the NCAA West Regional title in 2014.

“This decision was not an easy one, as Bison Wrestling has always been a huge part of my life,” said Maughan. “I have had the privilege of working with many great wrestlers over the years, and I am still very fortunate to be a part of their lives.”

Maughan coached numerous Division I and Division II national qualifiers and All-Americans, including Todd Fuller, Nick Severson, Paul Carlson, Thad Pike, Nick Magee, Eric Hoffman, Ryan Adams, Jacob Bryce, Vince Salminen, Trent Sprenkle and Steven Monk.

“In my role as an assistant coach, a big part of the job is being on the mat and wrestling collegiate athletes,” said Maughan. “In the last few years, that has become more of a physical challenge for me to maintain. The time demands of coaching Division I wrestling have also continually increased over the years, to the point where the time away from my children was the tipping point.”

“I have been privileged to work with a great staff, a supportive administration and for this university as a whole. I want to thank Gene Taylor for the opportunity to work for my alma mater. I’m looking forward to staying in the Fargo-Moorhead community, continuing my professional career in education, and having more freedom to spend time with my children,” said Maughan.

NDSU won two North Central Conference titles and two Western Wrestling Conference titles during Maughan’s time on the coaching staff.

“Bret has been a crucial part of the overall success and growth of our program, especially through the years of transition to Division I,” said NDSU head coach Roger Kish. “Bison wrestling has grown tremendously during his time here. We’re very grateful for the years of hard work and dedication that Bret has given to the program.”

Maughan is the son of Hall of Fame coach Bucky Maughan, who coached NDSU from 1964-2011. Next season will be the first since 1963 without a member of the Maughan family on the NDSU coaching staff.

Maughan is a distinguished member of the Fargo North Wrestling Hall of Fame, the Fargo North High School Hall of Fame and the North Dakota High School Wrestling Hall of Fame. He was most recently inducted into the Bison Athletic Hall of Fame in 2013 as a member of the 1988 national championship team.

No comments:

Post a Comment