Tuesday, September 11, 2012

UMC's Wiesner surpasses 1,000 career digs

CROOKSTON, Minn. – Prior to last weekend, only two University of Minnesota, Crookston volleyball players in the history of the program could be included in any discussions when talking about the “1,000 dig club” at UMC. After opening the Golden Eagles’ first seven matches of the 2012 campaign, Chelsea Wiesner (Jr., Lib., Rochester, Minn.) can now be included in that discussion. Wiesner now has 1,045 digs in just over two years in the Maroon and Gold. She joins the school’s digs record holder Jaclyn Slepicka (2006-09), who had 1,471, and Joan Ebnet (2003-05), who had 1,423 digs.


“I knew coming into the tournament at Ferris State that I was coming close to the mark,” Wiesner said. “I knew I needed just a handful of digs at the UMD Classic to surpass the mark. It felt pretty good to pass the mark. I feel like all of the hard work and frustration up until this point was worth it. Doing every defensive drill that we do in practice has helped me achieve this goal.”

Wiesner needs just 426 digs to surpass Slepicka’s mark. Wiesner, who joined the team in 2010, inherited Slepicka’s libero role upon arrival at UMC. She is well on pace to surpass Slepicka’s school record at UMC with almost two years remaining in her career. Wiesner tallied 562 digs last season and 377 digs the season prior.

“I would like surpass that mark this year and reach a substantially higher mark as a senior,” Wiesner said. “I am always trying to improve my play. From my freshman year to my sophomore year I think I approved by at least a dig a match, or something close to that. So it is all just a process of approving. I have my own set goals for myself that have nothing to do with Jaclyn. I would like to hold the record, who wouldn’t.”

The Golden Eagles will open Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play this weekend as they take on University of Mary at 7 p.m. Fri., Sept. 14 in Bismarck, N.D. and Minot State University Sept. 15 at 7 p.m.
For more information, visit the Golden Eagle Athletics Web site at www.goldeneaglesports.com.

Follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook at Golden Eagle Sports and on Twitter at @UMCAthletics.

The University of Minnesota, Crookston is an NCAA Division II Institution and a member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC). The Golden Eagle Equestrian team is a member of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA).

No comments:

Post a Comment